Up-and-coming Hip Hop group from Durban, CHILDISH PLAY will soon be on all Hip Hop lovers’ lips as they realise their childhood dreams in the release of their debut EP; S.L.A.D. (standing for Something Like a Dream)
Packing a power punch in each individual track, this EP is now available for streaming and download via various digital platforms and Ditto Music.
Childish Play is a group of four energetic and tight-knit 20-something friends, based in Durban, who have been together since primary school and regard themselves as brothers.
Koby Shaun, Jay D Skillz, Yamez (all 21 years old) and Trevor LC (20) all had one thing drawing them together and that was their passion to entertain people and being the life of the party wherever they go.
They started in primary school as a Gqom dance group and performing on the stage whenever the opportunity presented itself, whether it was a Heritage Concert or a dance battle after school in South Beach, Durban where the boys always hang around together.
The idea of hip hop came from the performing side, knowing they had musical talent and the ambition shown when recording their popular track, Roxy Gang in early 2019.
They garnered a strong enough fanbase in the underground Hip Hop scene for them to be recognized by Paul Mndiniso, CEO of Woz’obona PR and Marketing, who helped them establish themselves in those early stages, where they got to perform at events such Woz’eDurban Picnic, Mother Of All Parties and Kwa Dukuza Festival, to name just a few.
Now self-managed, in January 2020 Childish Play started working on their debut EP, Something Like A Dream (S.L.A.D,) with a selection of songs that could accommodate any person’s feelings with a motivation directed to people who are struggling, like they are, but they also have songs about how they hope their big music dreams will get them what they want, and the hard
Koby Shaun, member of Childish Play sums up the meaning behind S.L.A.D.; “The EP is about our dreams and the progress we see in reaching them. It is a mixture of different sounds of Hip Hop with songs about our ambitions, where we wish to be in life and where we currently are, Something Like A Dream summarizes this in 6 tracks and within these tracks are our hope and dreams. And we’re fully committed to slogging as hard as we need to, to achieve them.”
Here is a brief synopsis of what each track means to the group;
- SLAD (intro): This song was made with the intentions to inspire people to keep hustling and it will all be ‘something like a dream’ when they reap what they sow.
- Bustdown is the single release on the EP that is about getting a bustdown which they say “is a diamond you earned” on a watch or a chain
- .Celebrate: this is a “Dont worry it will be all right in the end” type of song with a very chilled vibe that has a simple but a very much-needed meaning.
- Dope boy: this song is going to get everybody moving as it entails the story of hardworking talented artists (Childish Play) who know the worth of their talents and are basically portraying that in the message of the song.
- Ouh Yeah Yeah: this song is the party anthem with a message of “enjoy your life and live it, don’t just be alive”
- SLAD (outro): as Jay D Skillz would say “as you look at your life and put it on a scale but your talent is not measured you must push down on the scale and sweat”, meaning they know they have the skill and talent but it seems they need to push harder.
S.L.A.D. is now available for download and streaming across all digital platforms or via: https://ditto.fm/something-like-a-dream
“Parental Advisory” suggested due to explicit lyrics.
The link to Bustdown:
A music video for SLAD (outro) will be dropping within the next week so subscribe to their various social media channels to see it there, first.
Follow Childish Play on Social Media:
Childish Play’s single Roxy Gang, released in 2019, along with a music video, has to date, received a lot of attention in the underground Hip Hop scene as well as local media platforms.
To view the Roxy Gang Music Video, click here
Childish Play say “It’s a long journey we gotta race” and they stick to this by showing guts, passion and sheer determination, not only at being artists but also hard workers, in order for them to achieve the big dreams they’re dreaming.
The CoLab Network
Telephone: 082 653 1338
Twitter: @collettdawson / @colabnetwork